Monday, February 19, 2007

Hello World

Hello, World.

This is the first blog I’ve ever created. I never felt comfortable with doing something that would be so full of I’s and me’s. Something important has come up, however, so I’ll have to learn to live with it, and let the I’s and me’s rip. It seems he best way to begin is to simply start, so here we go….

I always thought if I did one of these, it would be all about climate change, politics and social justice. I still care about those issues, deeply. Right now, though, at this very minute, there are a lot of sick people out there, people of all ages, who need help. They need the kind of help that is often met only by the efforts of sympathetic volunteers. So, in applying for this wonderful opportunity to take 6 months off work with full pay and full benefits (thanks to my outstanding employer, BNA, thank you, thank you!), I described the purpose of this sabbatical as a series of activities designed to "improve the quality of life of sarcoma/cancer patients and their families". Since the sabbatical application provides all the details of my planned activitites, I'm posting it separately.


Of course, it's one thing to write a proposal about the things you want to do and another thing to actually do them! There will be some evolution to the grand plan, as there already has been, and as it should be, as new opportunities reveal themselves. It is my hope that this journal will help all people who support my personal goals, or who are looking for ideas for their own initiatives, or who are in treatment and looking for encouragement that they are not alone, or who are simply bored and like to live vicariously through the blogs of others - whatever, whoever, HELLO!

5 comments:

MiMiOlssonneptiesi said...

Y.G.G.
You Go Girl.......
Bradley would be proud...anything I can do to help..just holler.
With Hope, MiMi
grandmother to Carly 8 y/o
dx mesenchymal chondrosarcoma
NED

Unknown said...

I think this will be a great benefit to those that must follow this path. I am proud of you for taking the time and effort and energy. You have our support!

Leslie (and Mocha)

Pam V said...

Glad you included me in your e-mail. I agree Bradley woul dbe proud and what a tribute to him by the way you will be helping others.

Unknown said...

Hi Elizabeth,
You were able to spend you sabbatical time on researching fading fish species of the Caribbean Sea, or documenting dialects of English language in western Europe, or even observing fascinating snowflake classification in Colorado.

But you decided to contribute your time in the most noble way.

Many many thanks to you
I wish you the best luck and a lot of success
Alex P.

P.S.
As of 02/20/2007 NCI have 46 Active Clinical Trials related to the Ewing's family of tumors http://www.cancer.gov/search/ResultsClinicalTrialsAdvanced.aspx?protocolsearchid=3071579
More info at http://www.cancer.gov/

Karen Carta said...

What an opportunity for you and for cancer sufferers. I'll follow your experiences with great interest. This will be a time of growth as well as healing for you.

Best wishes on this journey!